Get a Card

Riverhead Library card keychains

Applying for a Riverhead Free Library Card

Anyone who lives in our district is eligible for a free library card. Bring a photo ID with your current address to the library and complete an application and card agreement. Cards will be issued immediately so you can start using library resources right away! Minors under age 18 are eligible for cards, but do need a parent/guardian signature.

Riverhead Free Library serves the residents in the Riverhead Central School District.  Please reference the map below to see if your residency is in our district.  If your area does not have a designated library, you may be able to join RFL as a Contract Patron (see below).

Riverhead Free Library Service Area Map

Just bring the photo ID and a utility bill, or lease, or tax bill that includes your name and current physical address.

Library cards are good for five years from the date of issue, and you do need to be renewed after that time. You should receive a notification when your card is up for renewal.

Find everything you need to know about your online account, checkout limits, holds, renewals, and more on our Checkout Guidelines page.

Digital Cards

You can register for a temporary digital card online that allows you to access online research and download and stream materials. These cards are valid for 30 days.

Sign Up for a Digital Card

Other Types of Library Cards

We offer several special card types for those who are not eligible for a regular library card.

Residents of the East Moriches Union Free School District, the East Quogue School District, the Eastport-South Manor Central School District, and the Remsenburg-Speonk Union Free School District are eligible to select the Riverhead Free Library for library services.

Educator Cards can be made for those who work at Riverhead area schools. To make this card, simply supply your school ID and regular photo ID to apply for an Educator card.

Local use cards are reserved for patrons who are in temporary living situations.  These cards allow patrons to check out Riverhead items exclusively.  There may be other restrictions within the RFL collection depending on the item.

Student Cards can be made if a minor does not have a parent or guardian with them to sign their application.  We will need to see the student ID card to make a Student Card.  These cards are good for internal use, but a patron with a student card cannot check out items. The card can be made into a full use card when the parent or guardian signs their application.